443 Belgrade North Mankato, MN
|Finished Square Feet||0|
This former municipal building, was built in 1926 and still possesses an extraordinary amount of character. The building is located in Lower North Mankato next to the off-ramp coming into North Mankato from Mankato. The two-story gymnasium gives this building a large open area that could be used for an auditorium for various types of performances. There is built in seating on the second floor overlooking the gym. An alternative use could be to convert the historic property to housing. Additional property across the alley can be purchased separately and used for parking. Buyer may be eligible for up to $300,000 incentives for improvements. History of the building: This former municipal building designed by Henry Gerlack and built by Joel Bergstrom for a cost of $30,000 in 1926, was built on the site of the former public library and fireman's hall. It was a multi-purpose building with library, city council chambers, the courtroom and city offices (including a fireproof vault) on the first floor, as well as rest rooms and locker rooms. The second floor held a 700-person auditorium with a 23' x 25' stage, a projection booth, and kitchen services, as well as storage. The fire hall was 23' x 51' and opened onto Center Street, with the fire whistle on top of the building calling curfew each night for North Mankato's youth. The 1926 building, now called the Brandt Building, has a different floor plan, but the exterior remains the same.